Get new posts by email:

New Discoveries, Wikipedia, and Happy Thanksgiving

Last September I had the pleasure of giving a Local History talk for the Carmel Public Library Foundation. As a former librarian at Carmel Public Library, it was great to come "home" and share the story of the Bruton sisters with friends, colleagues, and the local community. The talk was broad in scope, but I gave special attention to the Brutons' interesting connections to Carmel, such as Margaret Bruton's coffee table in the Walker House on Carmel Beach (a house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright). I also discussed the differences between the Carmel and Monterey art colonies, and the Bruton sisters' connection to Armin Hansen. If you didn't get a chance to see the presentation, you can view it here.

As often happens when I give a talk, I end up learning things about the Bruton sisters that I never knew. During Q & A, an audience member told the audience about Monterey Peninsula Volunteer Services, a volunteer group that has a benefit shop at 655 Broadway Ave. in Seaside. Helen Bruton was a member of this organization and made a significant bequest in her will that allowed them to purchase their own building to house the benefit shop. There's even a plaque inside the shop commemorating Helen's gift. Who knew? I had to stop in and see it for myself:



But that wasn't the only discovery that resulted from my talk. I also learned about this new piece by Esther Bruton that was recently discovered in Carmel in the former home of the modernist architect Henry Hill

A newly discovered terrazzo by Esther Bruton

The terrazzo had been hidden underneath the house and was uncovered by workers during a recent renovation. In surprisingly good condition, it features abstract designs formed by metal wires, cog wheels, slices of rock geodes, and warm shades of gold, brown, and orange. 

A detail from the terrazzo


Esther signed her terrazzo pieces with her initials in metal wire

The homeowners were intrigued by this unusual piece. They noticed that it was signed with the initials "EB", but they were unable to determine who the artist was. That is, until they attended my Bruton sisters lecture in Carmel. Could the EB stand for Esther Bruton? They reached out and invited me to examine the piece, which I confirmed was indeed by Esther Bruton. Margaret Bruton was well known for her terrazzo work, but Esther also excelled in this medium, creating countless tables, countertops, and fireplace surrounds. And of course her trademark EB initials are unmistakable.

Given that this terrazzo by a modernist artist from Monterey was discovered in the home of a modernist architect from Carmel, one wonders if there was a connection between the two. Did Esther Bruton and Henry Hill know each other? Did Esther make this piece especially for Hill? Was it designed to compliment the home? Was it meant to be used as a coffee table? I have no knowledge that these two modernists were acquainted, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they knew each other and admired each other's work.

Things got even more interesting when the homeowners discovered a second terrazzo. Found hanging under an eave, it features two birds and has the same color scheme as the other terrazzo. Although I haven't seen it in person, it looks like another Esther Bruton terrazzo to me!


Maybe some day I'll know more about a possible connection between Henry Hill and Esther Bruton, but for the time being it's just exciting to discover new pieces by the Brutons.  

On another note, many times I have bemoaned the fact that the Bruton sisters don't have Wikipedia pages. It has always been my intention to remedy this situation, but I just learned that I've been beaten to it! Another individual -- who prefers to remain anonymous -- has written beautiful Wikipedia entries for Margaret, Esther, and Helen, as well as a page for The Peacemakers mural. As you know, Wikipedia pages are always a work in progress, and I will continue to monitor and update the Bruton pages as appropriate. It's wonderful that the Brutons -- who are so deserving of this level of attention -- are finally on Wikipedia!

To close, Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and I thought I would include an excerpt from my book that describes how the Bruton sisters spent their Thanksgiving in 1929:


I hope your Thanksgiving is just as fun and festive, and that you are surrounded by loved ones!

A print by Helen Bruton showing the Bruton family
gathered around the fire with their dogs.





Comments

Popular Posts